Ship Delicate and Fragile Items Safely and With Ease
When it comes to shipping delicate or fragile items, a ton of questions will pop up in your head without a doubt. Did I use enough padding? Was it sealed properly? Could I have done more to secure the package?
Your items can and will break during transit if they’re not protected and labeled properly. This can easily destroy the reputation of your business.
Items made of glass, ceramics, thinner plastic and crystal, or even electronic devices can be easily broken, so it’s very normal to be worried about the safe arrival of your fragile products.
We prepared this article with the hopes that it could provide useful information that will give you some peace of mind.
Know Your Products
Whether it’s for personal or business purposes, you must learn about the best ways to protect a certain material. What works for ceramics might not work for mirrors, and crystal glasses definitely require more protection/padding than a mobile phone.
If you’re a business owner, develop a packaging system that works best for each of your products. It’s okay to make mistakes in the beginning, but make sure to take notes from your customers’ reviews as your business grows.
Use Sturdy Boxes of Appropriate Size
Invest in thick, quality cardboard boxes that are a good fit for your items. Strong outer shipping boxes are always a good choice for shipments that have a long journey (hint: international shipments by air or sea).
A good box should not be bigger than 1-2 inches per side, and those “empty inches” must be filled in accordingly with bubble wrap, foam or other cushioning materials.
For example, electronic devices, such as TVs, should be wrapped in bubble wrap (or other thick plastic bag) first, then strengthened with Styrofoam blocks on each side, and only then put in their box.
Choose Protective Packaging Materials Wisely
Like we mentioned earlier, different packaging materials work for different products.
Some of the most used packaging materials include:
- Package fillers serve to fill in smaller empty spaces where the product could move to. They come in cardboard, paper, or plastic too!
- Packing peanuts are another great option for this.
- Wrapping paper can be of different materials and thickness, and is usually accompanied by adhesive tape that helps to secure the product better.
- Packaging foam is one of the most frequently used materials for package protection because foam is easy to work with, it can be shaped into any form, and it hardens just enough to prevent the product from moving around.
- This is considered the best protection for packaging purposes by far.
- Padded dividers work well if you’re shipping more than one fragile item in one box. They will add enough space for the items to sit comfortably in the box.
- Bubble wrap will not only protect a delicate item from breaking, but it is also extremely fun and addictive to play with once the receiver of the goods unpacks their order.
Don’t Forget to Add Labels
Adding a “Fragile” label to your package is as important as packaging it properly. Shipping companies pay special attention to fragile items and handle them differently than those that are non-fragile. Make sure the label is big enough to be clearly visible. You can even add multiple labels that are visible from different angles, just don’t cover the shipping address.
Prepare Your Package and Ship With PackageHopper
At PackageHopper, we offer the best rates for international shipping to over 210 countries worldwide, and our carriers will make sure to deliver everything in one piece.
On our FAQ page, you can find useful information regarding the preparation of your shipment and you can easily calculate your costs right away!
More from the blog
27 Essential Shipping Terms for Small Businesses
Starting a small business requires being familiar with new jargon in order to keep things on track. You can spend hours looking up terms in dictionaries or you can simply check out this article to learn the basics. The choice is yours, dear reader. Read more
Lovely Gifts for Your Loved Ones for National Family Day
National Family Day is a day to honor and celebrate the gift of family. And is there a better way to show your love and appreciation than with a carefully-selected, sentimental gift? Skills don’t need to be extra expensive to have value, and our suggestions are here to support this claim! Read more